RIC Women's Studies Program
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RIC Women's Studies Program

A Place for Students, Faculty, and Alumni to Share Thoughts, Ideas, and Perspectives.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Connecting the Dots: Racism, Sexism, Heterosexism & Violence.
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm by NAUsenia

» Women as Perpetrators in Nazi Germany
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm by kkreiser

» Cap and Gown Convocation
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm by jmagaw

» The legacy of Chernobyl
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 am by dread6354

» Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am by NAUsenia

» Ann Burke Speaks Out Against Dating Violence!
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 am by NAUsenia

» Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 pm by hrobinson

» Darfur is Dying...
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:50 am by efecteau_4447

» Graduation
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 am by jmagaw

Top posters
NAUsenia (155)
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Vote_lcapMeryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Voting_barMeryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Vote_rcap 
JJENNINGS (93)
Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Vote_lcapMeryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Voting_barMeryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Vote_rcap 
TLabonté (78)
lschuster (57)
spatterson (49)
Kimbuktu240 (47)
jhebert_6118 (46)
slemmo_0109 (46)
egoncalves_8709 (46)
jmagaw (41)
Affiliates
RIC

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
erenaud82

erenaud82

Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Empty
PostSubject: Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'   Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQjsbn4KCM

I decided to post this harrowing clip as my media artifact for three reasons: 1. we mentioned it briefly in class one week when discussing 'choiceless choices'; 2. the scene, for me, epitomizes the dehumanization and degradation suffered by victims of the Holocaust, Jewish or no; and 3. Streep's performance in this film is often considered one of the greatest screen performances in the history of motion pictures, and this scene is the 'selling point' on both that and Streep's acting talent in general. She won a well deserved Oscar for the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role for the part of Sophie Zawistoski.

Of course the entirety of the film should be viewed by anyone with any interest in the points I have made above, but this clip is really the essence of the film, the axis upon which the rest of it turns and the few moments of celluloid forever ingrained in anyone's mind after having viewed the film, even if that was in 1982, the year 'Sophie's Choice' was released. As I've mentioned in previous posts and assignments, many people think of the Holocaust in generalizations, not details. They think of numbers, not people. Streep puts not only a face on a single victim, but a pulse and soul, allowing her facial features, body language, and the timbre of her voice to pull the audience into the mind and heart of Sophie, and as a result, this scene is all the more harrowing for her realistic and emotive technique, jettisoning hysterics in favor of empathy. The Choice Scene is as emotionally and aesthetically potent as anything in 'Schindler's List', 'The Pianist', 'Life Is Beautiful', or any other critically-lauded and awards-showered Holocaust film, a topic which seems to be becoming a genre of its own. My own mother refuses to watch the film because of what she has heard about its emotional intensity, particularly the scene linked here.

Watch this, then rent the film. And bring your tissues.
Back to top Go down
NAUsenia
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
NAUsenia

Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'   Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice' EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am

Embeded