RIC Women's Studies Program
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RIC Women's Studies Program

A Place for Students, Faculty, and Alumni to Share Thoughts, Ideas, and Perspectives.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Connecting the Dots: Racism, Sexism, Heterosexism & Violence.
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm by NAUsenia

» Women as Perpetrators in Nazi Germany
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm by kkreiser

» Cap and Gown Convocation
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm by jmagaw

» The legacy of Chernobyl
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 am by dread6354

» Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am by NAUsenia

» Ann Burke Speaks Out Against Dating Violence!
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 am by NAUsenia

» Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 pm by hrobinson

» Darfur is Dying...
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:50 am by efecteau_4447

» Graduation
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 am by jmagaw

Top posters
NAUsenia (155)
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Vote_lcapSylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Voting_barSylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Vote_rcap 
JJENNINGS (93)
Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Vote_lcapSylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Voting_barSylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Vote_rcap 
TLabonté (78)
lschuster (57)
spatterson (49)
Kimbuktu240 (47)
jhebert_6118 (46)
slemmo_0109 (46)
egoncalves_8709 (46)
jmagaw (41)
Affiliates
RIC

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hrobinson

hrobinson

Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Empty
PostSubject: Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"   Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 8:49 pm

I chose this poem to post for a few reasons. Sylvia Plath wrote this poem and read it on the BBC radio shortly before committing suicide. She was born in 1932. Many of her poems are considered "confessional poetry". This poem isn't blatant because she transforms herself into a Jew and her father into a Nazi. She describes her father and herself equating the characters to the Holocaust. She tries to get the reader to understand the oppressor/oppressed dynamic that she and her father had. Another aspect of the poem is that Plath not only equates her father and herself to the victim and professor but she also includes German words and themes tying to the Holocaust throughout the piece.
Her father died when she was quite young but it could be argued that maybe he was dead to her already. The poem also relates to her former husband, Ted Hughes. It had been said that she was attracted to him because he was so similar to her father. "Daddy" was written in 1962, and from previous discussions in class, it has been noted that the Holocaust was not really spoken about until the 60s. This really speaks to me because Sylvia is saying that anyone can easily become part of an oppressed group, no matter how large or small. This is the case with any marginalized group; there is in actually nothing different about they just get singled out and targeted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_(poem)

Holly Robinson
Back to top Go down
abeaulieu_1847

PostSubject: Re: Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"   Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 pm

This poem, I found to be very interesting. I have never heard such a poem as this. I feel like in some sense she did not have a good relationship with her father. In the way she says that her father was a Nazi and she was Jew, is a very strong opposition to one another. Her father must have treated her unfair as a child, and this poem is a way to let it out, even with the strong sense of the words used. All I can really say, is wow, she and her father did not have a good relationship to say the least. She really expressed the dislike she took from her father and using words like she used, really expresses her deep hatred for him.
Back to top Go down
kroy

PostSubject: Re: Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"   Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 1:42 pm

I am really glad that you put this poem up. When I was my english class a few semesters ago we read this poem as a class and I remember talking about how she transforms herself into a Jew and her father into a Nazi. I totally forgot about this poem until I saw it here.
Back to top Go down
spatterson
Faculty Administrator
Faculty Administrator
spatterson

PostSubject: Re: Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"   Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks for posting this poem ... and finding the video in her own voice. I agree with Alyssa, she did have some really difficult issues with her father (and her husband too, I believe ..). It does speak the the idea of the oppressed and the oppressor their role and sometimes even their relationship to each other ... and the powerlessness that it can cause.
Back to top Go down
spatterson
Faculty Administrator
Faculty Administrator
spatterson

PostSubject: Plath's son commits suicide   Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyMon Mar 23, 2009 7:42 pm

I just read about this on the net ... Plath's son, Nicholas Hughes, 47 years old, committed suicide over the weekend, 46 years after his mother.

Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Plath
Back to top Go down
hrobinson

hrobinson

PostSubject: Re: Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"   Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Wow, I had no idea. That is so sad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"   Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy" Empty

Back to top Go down

Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"
Page 1 of 1