RIC Women's Studies Program
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RIC Women's Studies Program

A Place for Students, Faculty, and Alumni to Share Thoughts, Ideas, and Perspectives.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Connecting the Dots: Racism, Sexism, Heterosexism & Violence.
Darfur is Dying... EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm by NAUsenia

» Women as Perpetrators in Nazi Germany
Darfur is Dying... EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm by kkreiser

» Cap and Gown Convocation
Darfur is Dying... EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm by jmagaw

» The legacy of Chernobyl
Darfur is Dying... EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 am by dread6354

» Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'
Darfur is Dying... EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am by NAUsenia

» Ann Burke Speaks Out Against Dating Violence!
Darfur is Dying... EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 am by NAUsenia

» Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"
Darfur is Dying... EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 pm by hrobinson

» Darfur is Dying...
Darfur is Dying... EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:50 am by efecteau_4447

» Graduation
Darfur is Dying... EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 am by jmagaw

Top posters
NAUsenia (155)
Darfur is Dying... Vote_lcapDarfur is Dying... Voting_barDarfur is Dying... Vote_rcap 
JJENNINGS (93)
Darfur is Dying... Vote_lcapDarfur is Dying... Voting_barDarfur is Dying... Vote_rcap 
TLabonté (78)
lschuster (57)
spatterson (49)
Kimbuktu240 (47)
jhebert_6118 (46)
slemmo_0109 (46)
egoncalves_8709 (46)
jmagaw (41)
Affiliates
RIC

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Darfur is Dying...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kroy

Darfur is Dying... Empty
PostSubject: Darfur is Dying...   Darfur is Dying... EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 1:39 pm

While I was searching for a media artifact online, I came across a game that people can play that shows and explains the crisis in Darfur. I found this to be a very interesting and it is put forth by MTV.

They are in partnership with Reebok Human Rights Foundation and the International Human Rights Group. “This is an unprecedented competition bringing together student technology and activism to help stop the genocide in Darfur.” I think this is a great way to bring people together for a cause like Darfur. We live in a technological age and it seems like every one plays video games today. The students that are responsible for this is Susana Ruiz, Ashley York, Mike Stein, Noah Keating, and Kellee Santiago from the University of Southern California.

“Darfur is Dying is a narrative-based stimulation where the user, from the perspective of a displaced Darfurian, negotiates forces that threaten the survival of his or her refugee camp. It offers a faint glimpse of what it’s like for more than 2.5 million who have been internally displaced by the crisis in Sudan.”

At this website, you can play the game and also get other information on the genocide. You can get facts on the genocide and help put a stop to it.

Here is the link. I think everyone needs to check this out and play.
http://www.darfurisdying.com/
Back to top Go down
spatterson
Faculty Administrator
Faculty Administrator
spatterson

Darfur is Dying... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darfur is Dying...   Darfur is Dying... EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 7:11 am

There is so much about this game that's worth noting .. first, did you notice that there are no players over age 30? I don't think it's about the demographic that would see something like this ... I think it has to do with the number of people who live past the age of 30 ...

In addition, what about the idea of a "game" to speak to the issue of genocide ... do you think it's a good idea or somewhat insensitive to the plight of the people of Darfur?
Back to top Go down
kroy

Darfur is Dying... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darfur is Dying...   Darfur is Dying... EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 11:49 pm

That is a really interesting observation. I actually went back to look at the ages and saw that no one was over the age of 30.

On the topic of insensitive... I see what you are saying. I guess it depends on how you look at it. I personally feel that we are in an age where video games consume so much of peoples time. I think this is a way to reach out to a different group of people. To those who do not play video games and do not like the idea of them this may very well be looked at as insensitive. An important issue such as Darfur should be reached out to as many people as possible to educate those of the horror of genocide.
Back to top Go down
eowen

Darfur is Dying... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darfur is Dying...   Darfur is Dying... EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 10:47 am

This game was intense! I felt nervous finding water and I was only playing the game. To actually experience that first hand would be frightening.
I think it would be a really interesting way to help show people, as an alternative source, who may not be interested in mainstream news outlets. By experiencing this game the player will be able to understand even fraction of what it must be like to live this life every day.
I think it is also important that the game gives informative facts about the currents situation. These facts in combination with your avatar bring the situation closer to home. By selecting an avatar it is almost as if you put a face to the victim and are able to see it as more realistic rather than another news story.
Back to top Go down
kclavette

Darfur is Dying... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darfur is Dying...   Darfur is Dying... EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 3:15 pm

Reading this and seeing the game made me think about not only the severity of the conditions in Darfur, but the changing state of communication and connection within our modern world. I find it strange that people need such an intimate view into the lives of Darfur's people, searching for food, fighting for survival, to understand their plight or to spark activism and interest in today's "youth". The world that once sought information, sought education, is becoming one that is tricked into it through the ploy of entertainment, subliminal messages on TV, dramatization of reality, fun games about miserable situations.

I don't feel a game based on surviving a Jewish concentration camp would blow over as well... Beg for life from the Nazis! Evade the gas chamber! Don't get Dysentery! Try to say goodbye to your loved ones! ... I personally think its about time to stop sheltering our children. I don't think we need to scar them, tell them all the brutal details, but if we want real change, we must educate. If the child is old enough to play this game and learn about an incident like this, than educators and parents should take the initiative. Instead of providing the player is a "faint glimpse of what it’s like for more than 2.5 million who have been internally displaced by the crisis in Sudan.” We need to provide a clear picture. It is impossible to say how much of these facts are absorbed, or just considered part of the game.

How easy it would be to dismiss the troubling truth presented in the game, as fiction, as entertainment. I feel like to many, especially the youth, the information is so vast and unimaginable, it is hard to understand. Not to mention the desensitized state of our youth, who spend hours rampaging through a virtual world of looting, grand theft, murder... The message may be lost because most game players have probably seen as bad, if not worse already.

On the other hand, a strong message needs to be communicated in the language of its audience. I support the educational factor, but I do feel like society, elders have gotten lazy in telling their stories to the youth. I feel as though the implication of technology has smothered the human narrative, and provided us with a faint glimpse of life thus leaving the youth to come unprepared for the road that lies ahead... and history repeats...
Back to top Go down
efecteau_4447

Darfur is Dying... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darfur is Dying...   Darfur is Dying... EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:50 am

This was a very interesting way to educate people on the genocide happening in Darfur. The idea to use a video game concept to do the teaching is pretty smart because kroy stated above, we are living in a world where we play a lot of video games and this is a way to connect those people to a real life situation. One problem though I feel comes from this. From playing the game myself I feel depending on how old the person playing, their maturity level, and if they are taught about the situation may get the wrong idea about this game. I say this because even with all the facts it is still a game and video games even the ones based on true events like the Medal of Honor series are still fictional. People may not receive the true message of the rape and death and suffering these people go through when the game has a woman caught and then that is the end. People who are use to gaming might see this as gamish and not see the reality that the creators are trying to present. Because using video games as a teaching tool for genocide is still new people probably wont make the connection from a game to an actual crisis going on in the world, but it is definitely a starting point. Every other great idea had start at some point and they did not start perfect. This could turn into something really useful, a tool that is on the level of today's generation that could help teach like no other method.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Darfur is Dying... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darfur is Dying...   Darfur is Dying... Empty

Back to top Go down

Darfur is Dying...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RIC Women's Studies Program  :: Dr. Susan Patterson :: Media Artifact-
Jump to: