RIC Women's Studies Program
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RIC Women's Studies Program

A Place for Students, Faculty, and Alumni to Share Thoughts, Ideas, and Perspectives.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Connecting the Dots: Racism, Sexism, Heterosexism & Violence.
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm by NAUsenia

» Women as Perpetrators in Nazi Germany
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm by kkreiser

» Cap and Gown Convocation
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm by jmagaw

» The legacy of Chernobyl
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 am by dread6354

» Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am by NAUsenia

» Ann Burke Speaks Out Against Dating Violence!
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 am by NAUsenia

» Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 pm by hrobinson

» Darfur is Dying...
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:50 am by efecteau_4447

» Graduation
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 am by jmagaw

Top posters
NAUsenia (155)
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. Vote_lcapA Little-Known Feminist Movement. Voting_barA Little-Known Feminist Movement. Vote_rcap 
JJENNINGS (93)
A Little-Known Feminist Movement. Vote_lcapA Little-Known Feminist Movement. Voting_barA Little-Known Feminist Movement. Vote_rcap 
TLabonté (78)
lschuster (57)
spatterson (49)
Kimbuktu240 (47)
jhebert_6118 (46)
slemmo_0109 (46)
egoncalves_8709 (46)
jmagaw (41)
Affiliates
RIC

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

A Little-Known Feminist Movement.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gianna526

A Little-Known Feminist Movement. Empty
PostSubject: A Little-Known Feminist Movement.   A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm

I am writing my final Seminar paper on women’s resistance movements in Afghanistan, particularly during the Taliban regime. In my research, I came across this website:

www.rawa.org

RAWA, (the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan) was founded in 1977 while Afghanistan was under Soviet occupation. The founder, known as Meena, has become a symbol of women’s liberation all over the Middle East, but especially in Afghanistan. She started her career in social activism when she was in college (under the Soviet rule, women were still allowed to go to school, the Taliban banned it in the late 1990's). She created a feminist magazine called Payam-e-Zan (“Women’s Message”) which disseminated feminist theory to oppressed women all over the country. Meena also founded schools for refugee children and supported other humanitarian causes. Like her American counterparts of the early twentieth century, Meena organized rallies and encouraged women to be active. She was executed as a political upstart by the Afghani version of the KGB in 1987.

RAWA continues its efforts to liberate women in the region despite the danger of expressing feminist ideals. The "Women's Message" magazine is still available, but the punishment for printing, receiving or for being in possession of it is severe.
I encourage you to peruse the website and learn more about this little-known (at least in America) feminist movement.
Back to top Go down
dread6354

dread6354

PostSubject: Soviet Union/Afghanistan   A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 4:14 pm

I did my History Seminar paper on the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, Fall 2007. I looked at the political aspects and added parts on the human loss for effect and the website you posted is really great and something I wish I had found when I was doing my paper! I don't think a lot of people understand what is happening in Afghanistan and I learned so much from my paper, I hope you do too.
Back to top Go down
spatterson
Faculty Administrator
Faculty Administrator
spatterson

PostSubject: Re: A Little-Known Feminist Movement.   A Little-Known Feminist Movement. EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Isn't is interesting when this organization was founded ... 1977, during the Soviet occupations ... it seems the more things change the more they stay the same ... think of the different regimes that have occupied Afghanistan since that time ...

It seems that as of late many influential women have supported this group.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Little-Known Feminist Movement.   A Little-Known Feminist Movement. Empty

Back to top Go down

A Little-Known Feminist Movement.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RIC Women's Studies Program  :: Dr. Susan Patterson :: Media Artifact-
Jump to: