RIC Women's Studies Program
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RIC Women's Studies Program

A Place for Students, Faculty, and Alumni to Share Thoughts, Ideas, and Perspectives.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Connecting the Dots: Racism, Sexism, Heterosexism & Violence.
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm by NAUsenia

» Women as Perpetrators in Nazi Germany
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm by kkreiser

» Cap and Gown Convocation
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm by jmagaw

» The legacy of Chernobyl
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 am by dread6354

» Meryl Streep in 'Sophie's Choice'
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am by NAUsenia

» Ann Burke Speaks Out Against Dating Violence!
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 am by NAUsenia

» Sylvia Plath reads "Daddy"
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 4:04 pm by hrobinson

» Darfur is Dying...
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:50 am by efecteau_4447

» Graduation
Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 12:24 am by jmagaw

Top posters
NAUsenia (155)
Picture is worth a thousand words Vote_lcapPicture is worth a thousand words Voting_barPicture is worth a thousand words Vote_rcap 
JJENNINGS (93)
Picture is worth a thousand words Vote_lcapPicture is worth a thousand words Voting_barPicture is worth a thousand words Vote_rcap 
TLabonté (78)
lschuster (57)
spatterson (49)
Kimbuktu240 (47)
jhebert_6118 (46)
slemmo_0109 (46)
egoncalves_8709 (46)
jmagaw (41)
Affiliates
RIC

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Picture is worth a thousand words

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bbert_4538

Picture is worth a thousand words Empty
PostSubject: Picture is worth a thousand words   Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 1:54 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f89/13/69/35/80/shoes11.jpg

This photograph is from a Holocaust Art Exhibit at the University of Florida. It is titled "Memorial Art at Auschwitz--One small section of the "mountain" of shoes on display at the camp." The picture shows an extremely small piece of the wall of shoes that exists. The shoes represent one pair for each person that was murdered at Auschwitz. I chose to use this as my artifact because I think that in some cases photographs are worth more than words. To hear someone speak out the terrible things that occurred during the Holocaust is one thing, but to actually have a visual is something totally different. In some ways it makes it more real...more personal I think.

This photograph imparticular struck me for a couple reasons. One of them was the colors. They are dark and dusty and depressing. Those colors set the mood immediately. They have something ominous about them. Also, I was caught off guard by the way that the shoes manage to take by the entire frame of the photograph. It really portrays the magnitude of the situation.

The last reason I chose to share this was that it is very current. This is part of an exhibit that is going on rigth now. It is also a picture that was taken rather recently. If you look at all those shoes. All those dead people. It is hard to believe that we have allowed it to happen over and over again. Those shoes represented the murdered in the Holocaust, but what represents those lost in the killing fields of Cambodia? Or the victims of the genocide in Darfur?
Back to top Go down
spatterson
Faculty Administrator
Faculty Administrator
spatterson

Picture is worth a thousand words Empty
PostSubject: Re: Picture is worth a thousand words   Picture is worth a thousand words EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Here's the image ...

Picture is worth a thousand words Shoes11
Back to top Go down

Picture is worth a thousand words
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RIC Women's Studies Program  :: Dr. Susan Patterson :: Media Artifact-
Jump to: